This two-day course (16 hours contact time) which is jointly awarded with Royal Environmental Health Institute of Scotland (REHIS) has been designed to provide a detailed understanding of the legislation relating to the Waste and Resource Management industry. It is suitable for staff working on waste management facilities and in areas where they handle and manage non-hazardous and hazardous waste on a regular basis. This course also provides background Knowledge and Understanding for WAMITAB candidates. The Course has been designed for those new to the Industry, anyone starting or completing WAMITAB COTC awards or experienced managers who require to be kept abreast of recent changes.
To provide evidence of the knowledge & understanding aspects required for the technical units of WAMITAB’s Certificate of Technical Competence (COTC’s)
To provide a basic understanding of the main elements of the Environmental Protection Act 1990
To understand and apply the practical aspects of:
- The Definition of Waste
- The Duty of Care
- Registration of Carriers
- Special Waste Regulations
- Transport of Wastes (Including Dangerous Goods)
Who Should Attend
- Any one who requires an update on current waste legislation issues
- Candidates undergoing WAMITAB COTC Qualifications
- New comers to the Waste Industry
- Introduction to Waste
- Hazards posed by Waste
- Classifying Waste (using EWC Codes)
- Waste Management Principles (Waste Hierarchy)
- Managing Waste (Duty of Care)
- Special Waste Regulations & Consigning Special Waste
- Carriage of Dangerous Goods (By Road)
- Storage of Hazardous/Special Wastes
Participative with a mix of lecturing, case studies and exercises.
Confirmation of Learning
Confirmation of learning is achieved by completion of course exercises.
Candidates who complete the course successfully will receive a certificate jointly issued by REHIS and Albion. Course Certification can be used to demonstrate APL for Waste Management awards accredited by WAMITAB and SQA.