This course has been developed for staff who are working as Authorised Officers, with a focus on tackling fly tipping and other waste related issues, are equipped with the required knowledge to operate to the high standards expected of them.
The Course is ideally suited to anyone who deals with litter, fly tipping, communal waste areas and community engagement work to improve recycling.
To understand the main requirements legal aspects of waste and how they apply to litter, fly tipping and common waste related issues.
To understand common waste types, legal implications and how to deal with offences.
Participative with a mix of discussions and some exercises.
Who Should Attend?
- Anyone who deals with waste related community engagement work.
- Staff who deal with enforcement work for litter, and fly tipping offences.
- Candidates wishing to improve their knowledge of Waste Management to develop public engagement strategies.
Course will consist of an experienced trainer delivering a 1-day course covering;
- What is Waste – Definition of Waste, Duty of care – responsibilities in the “waste chain”.
- Criminal and Civil Law in Scotland and the players in enforcement and policy (Councils, SEPA, Police, SG, KSB, ZWS) & the relevant Codes of Practice
- Why is this important: Public Health Implications of litter / fly tipping / dog fouling etc?
- Legal Basis of:
- Abandoned vehicles.
- Litter enforcement
- Litter from Vehicles
- Abandoned vehicles.
- Carriage of Waste
- The deposit of waste (i.e., Environmental Protection Act 1990 S33 – basic understanding)
- Household waste storage and collection
- Commercial Waste storage and collection
5. Key Offences for the above and evidence required
6. How to deal with each type of offence & the common issues
Course Materials include
Confirmation of Learning
Confirmation of learning is achieved by completion of course exercises.
Candidates who complete the course will receive a certificate of attendance issued by Albion.
Albion also offer Waste Management related qualifications awarded by WAMITAB. Suitable for people wishing to join the waste management industry, and people who already work within waste management departments who would like to gain a formal qualification.