Pollution Prevention and Control Applications and Modifications
A number of waste management activities are now covered under Pollution Prevention and Control (Scotland) Regulations 2012. We have experience applying for and modification of PPC permits for landfill sites and in vessel composting facilities.
This service as standard includes preparation of Management Plan, completion of SEPA application form and calculation of financial provision. We also provide assistance with site layout, site documentation and surface water and groundwater issues.
The usual requirements of a PPC application are shown below:
- Management and Operation Techniques of the site.
- Fate and behaviour in the environment and its effects of raw, auxiliary materials, other substances and water. Groundwater assessment and/or air dispersion modelling of the site.
- Nature, quantities and sources of foreseeable emissions to land, air and water.
- Potential significant human health and environmental effects (including transboundary effects) of the foreseeable emissions resulting from the proposal.
- Environmental Statement under Council Directive 85/337/EEC.
- Landfill Gas Collection and Utilisation Management Plan (Landfill only)
- Measures for monitoring emissions of the site (frequency, measurement, methodology and procedure)
- Documented system to identify, assess and minimise the environmental risks and hazards of accidents and their consequences.
- Closure Restoration and Aftercare Plan. Description of the proposed measures upon definite cessation of operations to avoid any pollution risk and return the site of the installation to a satisfactory state.
- Waste streams of the installation, proposed measures for waste management, storage and handling. Details of how each waste stream is proposed to be recovered or disposed. In case of disposal, it is necessary to provide a justification explaining why recovery is technically and economically impossible and describing the measures planned to avoid or reduce any impact on the environment.
- Main sources of noise and vibration and its evaluation. Control strategies of noise.
- Demonstrate that the relevant objectives set out in the Waste Management Licensing Regulations 1994 have been addressed in the project.
- If that is the case, implications of the installation for nearby European Conservation Sites and significant effects on those sites.
- Measures from improvement of energy efficiency relevant for the project. If that is the case, indicate the implications of Climate Change Levy Agreements.
- Demonstrate how the methods and techniques proposed in the project constitute Best Available Techniques (BAT).
- Technical competences in the management of the site, taking into account that waste management activities covered by the WAMITAB (Waste Management Industry Training Advisory Board) award scheme, need special requirements.
- Plan of the estimated expenditure for each phase of the waste management activities.
- Non-technical summaries of the proposal.
- Layouts, maps and diagrams that show in a graphical way the main characteristics and implications of the project.
- Calculation of the charges to apply for a PPC variation.
The requirements needed to secure a PPC variation are very similar to the ones showed above, but with emphasis on those aspects that will bring about a change on the existing impacts to the environment and human health. For instance:
- Changes to the installation activities, proposed techniques and measures to prevent and reduce waste arisings and emissions of substances and heat.
- Any changes to management and operational techniques.
- Changes to energy production.
- Any changes of the fate and behaviour in the environment and its effects of raw, auxiliary materials, other substances and water.
- Changes in the nature, quantities and sources of foreseeable emissions to land, air and water.
- Proposed modifications to the existing permit conditions.
- Site report covering additional land and contamination levels from the proposed variation.
- Layouts, maps and diagrams that show in a graphic way the main variations of the characteristics and implications of the project.
- Justification of the type of PPC variation and calculation of the charges based on that information.
If you are needing to apply for a PPC Permit or need to modify your existing permit please do not hesitate to contact us.