Albion Environmental Ltd, using their experience of the assessment process through SQA and WAMITAB has made a number of innovative and positive changes to the way vocational awards are delivered.
These changes are driven by our strong belief that completion of awards must benefit both the candidate and the client companies.
A full range of awards is available and the assessment process we currently use is based on the following key stages:
Background Knowledge – Optional
We have developed two courses in conjunction with a number of Local Authorities and Private sector clients, which are jointly certificated by REHIS (The Royal Environmental Health Institute of Scotland.)
These courses have been designed to provide a basic understanding of legislation relating to the waste industry and provide background knowledge and understanding for WAMITAB candidates and are suitable for those new to the industry, anyone starting or completing WAMITAB COTC or experienced managers who require to be kept abreast of recent changes.
Once you sign up for your qualification, we issue some information sheets to be completed and returned – including a CV. These details allow us to process your registration with the appropriate body and enable us to perform the necessary pre induction checks to establish you have the required experience to manage your waste facility (and complete the award successfully).
We will also verify the facility you are working at has the systems and procedures in place to comply with the site permit, environmental and Health and Safety legislation. If these systems are not in place it will be difficult for you to complete your award.
Course Induction – Required
Where possible, we will try and arrange joint inductions with other candidates. This has the benefit of introducing you to other candidates completing similar awards to you and also allows for full discussion on the different approaches which can be used for gathering evidence.
Award inductions include –
- Detailed “PowerPoint” presentation
- Completion of Induction paperwork
- Registration on E-Portfolio system
- Agreement of Assessment Plan
Portfolio – Required
We will arrange for you to have access to the E-Portfolio system we use (Learning Assistant). The benefits of having access to Learning Assistant are;
- All work is stored electronically, so the risk of work being lost or damaged is reduced.
- Accessed through desktop computer or on an app on a phone or tablet.
- App allows you to take photographic evidence for your award and upload it to your account.
- Simple communication with your Assessor – done by an email or message on your account.
Additional Activities and Exercises – Optional
For many of the qualifications we have developed activities, exercises and quizzes which cover key aspects of your qualification. These have been carefully mapped against criteria and successful completion of these activities can be used as evidence to help you towards completion of your award.
These activities will be issued via Learning Assistant by your assessor.
Your assessor is here to support you through your qualification. They are available for calls, email and site visits as you progress through your qualification. In order to get the best out of your assessor please take the following points into consideration;
- Keep in touch and return calls / emails in a timeous manner.
- Don’t go too far ahead – our assessors would rather look at small bits of work to ensure it is being completed correctly, particularly during the initial stages. This can help you avoid unnecessary additional work
- Maintain reasonable expectations – be considerate to your assessor, it can be frustrating for them to be trying for months to contact a candidate – and then for the candidate suddenly to send some work and expect it to be reviewed within 24hrs.
- Just because you are doing the work in evenings or weekends, does not necessarily mean our assessors are (although quite often they may end up replying at random times of the day!)
We all know the pressures busy managers are juggling – help us to support you!
Centre Support and Follow Up
We are keen to ensure you complete your award within the specified time limit. From experience we also know that candidates who show progress immediately after their induction are far more likely to complete their award. We therefore have system in place where Centre administration will make contact with you, every 2-3 weeks to provide necessary level of support.
Additional Training – optional
Albion Environmental Ltd has a range of training developed to cover the waste management sector. Where gaps have been identified with candidates training or with their staff we can provide the necessary level of training.
If you wish to discuss these services or wish to talk to existing clients please do not hesitate to contact us.
Our Track Record
Albion have a proven track record of delivering courses to many local authorities and public and private sector organisations, many of whom have engaged with us further to develop and roll-out the delivery of their own in-house training for all levels of staff
We have a well-qualified and experienced team to deliver training for your organisation. All our staff currently complete CPD records for a range of professional organisations including, WAMITAB, SQA, CIWM and have a wealth of experience in supporting organisations at strategic and operational levels.
The awarding bodies that we carry out assessments and training for, are regulated by the Qualification Standards Authority (OFQUAL) and Sector Skills Council for their industry; compliance is essential. We are pleased to say that Albion have consistently received high praise from both SQA and WAMITAB at our annual verification visits.