WAMITAB & SQA Training and Assessment
Update on situation regarding Certificate of Technical Competence
Due to various changes in legislation and changes to training qualifications
it has suddenly got a bit complicated in the WAMITAB Certificate of Technical
Competence arena. In order to try and simplify and provide some clarity to
the matter we have prepared the following brief guide.
Please note – this guidance does not affect existing candidates.
England and Wales –
Main changes are –
Qualification are now in the QCF framework – for full list of all the qualifications Albion is qualified to deliver please click here
The risk tiers have now been upgraded to reflect changes with QCF and also the EA Standard rules permits – information on the risk tiers is available here
In England and Wales only CIWM and WAMITAB's Operator Competence Scheme (the Scheme) has a requirement for individuals to keep their competence up to date. Therefore all competent persons falling within the Scheme will be required to demonstrate ‘Continuing Competence’ and this will be appropriate to the level of risk posed by the facility so that it remains proportional. Further information available at http://www.albion-environmental.co.uk/WAMITAB-CIWM-continuing-competence-test.php
Candidates with existing awards wishing to upgrade their qualifications should contact us. Prior to contacting us it would be useful if you either have your certificates or the exact description that is on your certificate. This will allow us to advise you what is the correct award.
If you cannot find the award you need please do not hesitate to contact us.
We are currently in a position in Scotland where we can continue to provide the existing awards (delivered via SQA) or the QCF awards (delivered via WAMITAB) detailed in England and Wales section above. We can provide advise as to which is the most appropriate for your situation.
The main change in Scotland is the Waste regulations 2011 – Scotland, “removed the need for a Certificate of Technical Competence (CoTC) to demonstrate that a person is suitably qualified to hold a waste management licence”. We are currently trying to get some clarity from SEPA regarding the impact of this change. At present most sites will have either a WML or PPC which states that they must have a COTC holder on site and this change in legislation will not alter your WML or PPC. It is possible that SEPA will allow you to modify your WML / PPC to remove that condition but there will be a modification fee to pay.
Our view is that the WAMITAB qualifications have been available for over 15 years and are a tried and tested method for demonstrating candidates are competent to manage your site. This change in law does not change that and these qualifications continue to offer significant benefit to candidates and employers alike.
The Waste Management Licensing Regulations NORTHERN IRELAND (2003) remain in forcee and the need for a Certificate of Technical Competence (CoTC) to demonstrate that a person is suitably qualified to hold a waste management licence.
We are currently in a position in Northern Ireland where we can continue to provide the existing awards (delivered via SQA) or the QCF awards (delivered via WAMITAB) detailed in England and Wales section above. We can provide advise as to which is the most appropriate for your situation.
Albion Environmental SQA/WAMITAB Centre is approved by both WAMITAB and SQA to provide training and assessment in the full range of WAMITAB awards, including composting and treatment of hazardous and non-hazardous wastes.
Albion Environmental Ltd offer a full range of awards.
Albion Environmental Ltd is proud of the innovative methods we have developed to make the WAMITAB process more relevant to candidates and client companies. Over the years we have developed and refined our methods for delivering WAMITAB qualifications. We have introduced the following services to make the delivery of WAMITAB assessment more cost effective.
- 2 day Introduction to Waste Management Course - This course will cover the basic knowledge and understanding required to complete a WAMITAB award. The content of the Introduction to Waste Management course is ideal for candidates who are new to the industry or simply wish to improve their knowledge. Candidates completing this course progress through there qualification significantly quicker than other candidates. For details of next course visit our online course booking request system.
- WAMITAB Assessment by email - Over 75% of our candidates are having there work assessed by sending work by email. This allows candidates to complete small sections of work and have it assessed prior to moving on to the next section. It also significantly reduces costs by reducing assessor travel time. This option is currently offered to all candidates.
As always we ensure that training and assessment is carried out by experienced Waste Managers who understand the pressures of managing an operational site. Relevant C.V's detailing levels of expertise can be provided for trainers. We work with a range of companies and local authorities across Scotland, England and Northern Ireland - list of WAMITAB clients.
As a young progressive company we are always trying to identify new and innovative ways to deliver these qualifications.
New For 2008
- All blank portfolios are now issued with a 1GB memory stick containing all portfolio documentation.
- New range of course exercise to cover areas where candidates generally struggle with gaining the required evidence.
- Want your portfolio back in a usable format? For £40 plus VAT we can provide your portfolio in a searchable PDF format on a 1GB memory stick. Details will be forwarded to you on completion of your award.
If you wish to talk to existing clients please do not hesitate to contact us.
For further information on the awards, a detailed quotation or how to apply please contact us.